From the stunning lake district in Northern Italy to the sparkling seas of the Amalfi Coast, Italy has no shortage of spectacular landscapes to add to your bucket list. But after reading this, the colorful chain of five fishing villages known as Cinque Terre just might make its way to the very top of your must-see list!
Here are our Top 5 reasons why you need to pack your bags and head to Cinque Terre:
- The views. The colorful clusters of cliffside homes are perched above striking azure harbors dotted with wooden fishing boats. The views are postcard-worthy at every bend – from the beaches to the vineyards. Pack your camera!
- The hiking trails. There are a number of great trails, from gentle walking paths to strenuous, steeper climbs, that connect the five villages. Hiking town to town is the perfect way to burn off some of those Italian carbs and to experience the charm and beauty of the towns individually.
- The wine. Italy is well-known and loved for its wine and Cinque Terre is no exception. The terraces surrounding the towns, particularly Corniglia and Manarola, produce a tasty white wine, as well as Sciacchetra, a dessert wine that is worth the splurge!
- The seafood. If you arrive early in the morning, you can watch the local fishermen untying their boats and heading out to retrieve the catch of the day. They pride themselves on delicious, fresh caught seafood prepared to perfection and it certainly doesn’t disappoint! Even if you’re not an anchovy lover, we encourage you to try them here!
- The seclusion. Cinque Terre has become a popular daytime attraction for travelers, but when the sun goes down and the trains roll out, the day-trippers leave too. The towns become quiet and peaceful – like you have your own little corner of the world! It becomes an ideal place to enjoy a romantic dinner and to fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves.